The Mount Hot Pools are set to get a multi-million dollar makeover, to drag them into the modern tourist era. The redevelopment plan calls for features including a Cultural Heritage Centre. That’s not to suggest these pools aren’t kept in tip top condition.
Located at the base of Mount Maunganui (Mauao), they remain a must do local attraction – especially when you combine a climb to the summit for spectacular views – with a good après-hike soak. Part of their appeal is in their unique status as the only hot sea water pools in the country, using naturally heated salt water.
The 18 metre ‘active pool’ is cool enough at 32 degrees to get some exercise swimming lengths, in quieter times.
The facilities include:
• Two Spa Pools heated to 40° degrees
• 18m Active Pool heated to 32° degrees
• Passive Pool heated to 40° degrees with jet sprays
• Kids Pool with Waterslide heated to 37.5° degrees
• Private Heated Pools
• Massage, aromatherapy, reflexology, deep tissue massage, etc.
Tauranga locals get significant discounts - $3.50 discount off adults – if they can show an ID card.
Adams Ave, Mount Maunganui. (07) 575 0868. www.tcal.co.nz/Pools/mounthotpools.html