Best of TAURANGA

Wednesday 20 January 2010

Bay 'Second Worst' for Boy Racer Offences
The Bay of Plenty has the second worst boyracer problem in the country, on official figures. A report to Police Minister Judith Collins shows Canterbury had 243 ‘boy racer’ offences between January and the end of August last year. The Bay followed not far behind with 223. Traffic Chief Ian Campion is not surprised by the figures, saying they reflect consistent enforcement across the Western Bay. He says that since December 24th, nearly 100 mainly boy racer-type vehicles have been ordered off the road, for everything from noisy exhausts, to dangerous defects.

Roadblocks Turn Up Young Offenders
Police are concerned at the number of young people caught in a crack down on drink and drug driving. Operation Profile ended mid January, with more than 45 thousand drivers breath-tested. Sergeant Dan Roser says of real concern was a significant increase in the 15 to 24 year old age group, who accounted for just over half of those caught.

Two Arrested for Service Station Holdup
There has been a breakthrough in the inquiry into last weekend's hold up in Edgecumbe. Police have arrested and charged two men with aggravated robbery of a Shell Service station on Sunday. The pair is also charged with firing at a Police Officer following the raid. Both men aged 33 and 20, are from Kawerau. Police revealed yesterday that a shot had been fired at a police car pursuing the alleged robbers.

Motorists Reassured on Roadworks
Motorists have been assured they won't face big delays as work gets underway next week on a new roundabout at the northern end of Bethlehem. The roundabout will improve safety, and is a key part of the urban growth plan for the area. Council's Theunis Van Schalkwyk says the traffic will be kept flowing. He says the contractor will maintain a two-way flow, and the speed limit will remain at 50 kph during day time. There'll be little impact on motorists from the initial work, which will be carried out at the sides of the road, and behind screens.

Mangroves Munched - Sensitively
Moves are now well underway to tackle fast-spreading mangroves in Tauranga harbour. Environment Bay of Plenty is mechanically removing mangroves from 11 sites. The council's Land Resources Manager Robyn Skelton says the digger used mulches the vegetation and doesn't harm the fragile environment. She says the machine has swamp tracks and there is less pressure on the harbour bed than the average person crossing the estuary. Robyn Skelton points out they're not removing all the mangroves; they're leaving a band of vegetation for the wading birds habitat.

Posted: Wed 20 Jan 2010

Back

 

 

 

 

Things to Do

Everything
Family
Hot Pools

Accommodation

Hotels
Motels
B&Bs

Where to Eat

Restaurants
Cafes
Bars

Reviews

Spotlight
Top Picks
Newsletters

© BestofTauranga.com - Privacy Policy - Contact Us