Tuesday 17 November 2009

Man Hit by Train
A 30 year old man from Greerton is dead after being hit by a train. The incident happened at around 8.30 last night, as the man was crossing the tracks at Colins Lane near Te Puke. It appears the victim didn't hear, or see the train approaching. The death has been referred to the coroner, but police have not yet released the man's name.

No Parking Meters for Mount, Greerton
Tauranga Council has decided against metered parking in Greerton and at the Mount, but there's a catch. It's proposed that businesses instead pay the cost through a targeted rate. There's also talk of a maximum four hour parking limit along The Mall and beach areas, and even a system of one way streets and angled parking. The parking plans for the Central Business District, Greerton and the Mount have been developed with the assistance of the three Mainstreet organisations. The proposals are subject to public consultation, but could be in place by the end of the year. Pictured: Downtown the Mount

Housing Crisis in Spotlight
Tauranga Council and developers are to work closely in the coming months to try and find solutions to the city's housing crisis. Deputy Mayor David Stewart says there are two main issues to consider; the affordability of housing, and curtailing urban sprawl. They'll look to overseas examples to see what can be achieved, either through better design, or construction methods. But he says it's simply a learning exercise, the Council has no intention of direct involvement with the housing market.

Police Name Crash Victim
Police have released the name of a Coroglen man who died in road crash late last week. Ronny Melde was killed after being thrown from his vehicle when it rolled off State Highway 25, near Kaimarama, south of Whitianga. His body was found Thursday morning lying in a paddock a short distance from his Toyota Hi Lux ute. Police say the 35 year old had not been wearing a seatbelt, and alcohol may have also been a factor.

Drugs Found in Vehicle Search 
A local driver has been arrested even though he passed the drugs impairment test, when stopped by police at Welcome Bay. Officers said the 33 year old reeked of cannabis, but his test result came up clear. The mystery was soon solved after a search of the vehicle uncovered a large amount of cannabis, along with a small amount of powder, believed to be methamphetamine. Archive photo

Posted: Tue 17 Nov 2009






Things to Do

Hot Pools



Where to Eat



Top Picks

© - Privacy Policy - Contact Us